Parents and kids know that the Woodside Scholastic Book Fair gives children and parents the opportunity to shop from a huge selection of Scholastic books. However, not all parents realize that the Book Fair helps the PTA put hundreds of new books into classrooms each year. Yes, it’s not just a program we run. It’s a program that allows parents and the PTA to give back to our school as well.
- The Gift of Reading program allows parents to donate books to classrooms in honor of their children. It’s the best program the PTA offers to parents to improve classroom libraries.
- Teacher Wish Lists allow parents and students to purchase books from the Book Fair that teachers have specifically requested for their classrooms.
- The PTA uses part/most of the profits from the Book Fair to purchase additional books for classrooms. How do we do this? The PTA earns 25% of the gross sales from the Book Fair. When we use that money to purchase books, Scholastics DOUBLES IT! Every dollar you spend at the Book Fair turns into 50 cents that the PTA can use towards books for Woodside classrooms and students. Yes, your purchases translate into books for our kids and school.
This year, between the Gift of Reading, Wish List books purchased by parents and PTA donations, 258 total books were donated this year (Value $2,518)! Delivering the bags of books to classrooms is truly a fantastic feeling.
The Book Fair is a HUGE undertaking. Many weeks of work take place before the doors ever open. In addition, our week-long fair is a full-time job. Our chairs donate a great deal of their time to make this possible. Thank you ladies for making this annual program possible.
Do you want to see this program continue at Woodside? Well, we need your help. Without additional parent volunteers, the Scholastic Book Fair won’t be able to continue. Given the volume of work required to make this program possible, we really need a group of parents to step up and be part of the Book Fair.
Our in-school Scholastic Book Fair was a HUGE success!!
Thank you to ALL of the volunteers, especially the Book Fair Chairs!
Farhana Ahmed, Joyce Bogus, Margaret Davis
Additional shout-outs go to those parents who spent numerous days lending a hand and assisting with set up, breakdown and Sales:
Kristin Stapinski, Fred Guido, Beth Subborsky, Katie Salzano, Betsy Chen, Scott Cherry, Emily Popowitz, Brandyn Randolph, Erin Lepone, Alyssa Weiss, Taryn Abella, Robin Braver, Brynn Khallaf, Nicole Breen, Meagan Giunta, Lane Escobar, Vera Stern, Lisa Canon, Dana Leoce, Marcy Benner, Michele Medina, Enas Tupo, Helena Kesler, Heidi Novoa, Christine Petrino, Mic Finkle & Ilona Shmaruk.
Also a BIG Thank you to the Gift of Reading Chairs:
Leonor Diehl, Natalie Shah, Anne Wambold
And now…the Book Fair by the number$…
- Total Sales: $9,845!
- # Books Purchased by Parents for Teachers: 32 (Value $245)
- # Books Donated to Classrooms Through the GOR Program: 83 (Value $1,245)
- # Books Donated to Classrooms – PTA purchased remaining Teachers Wish List books. 258 total books (Value $2,518)
- Total Donations to Classrooms: 373 books valued at $4,008!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! TO ALL THE VOLUNTEERS AND PARENTS WHO CAME OUT AND SUPPORTED OUR BOOK FAIR!
(The teacher’s Wish List Bins were completely empty between parent and PTA donations!!)